Re: Synology PPCBoot SK98 network bug fix

Hi,

> > so I presume that it has tried to read the environment from somewhere on
> > the flash.
>
> Yes.

It would be nice to be able to write an environment to the flash ;-)

> To make your DS-207 boot standalone, automatically, you will have to
> replace the Linux kernel by altboot.img, which fakes a Linux kernel in
> PPCBoot-image format.

Yes - that's what I assumed.  It should be possible to work out which
version is there and compare it with the available downloads.  It would
then be possible to reload it (if required) at a later date.

> The other problem is that you can no longer pass arguments, besides
> using the interactive mode. altboot.img will default to booting "netbsd"
> from your first disk drive.

Yep.

> For the documentation (I'm currently updating it): which addresses are
> used in your default bootm command in the bootcmd environment variable
> (printenv), i.e. which is the address where the Linux kernel is stored
> in flash?

Mine has:

  bootargs=console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/md0 rw ip=off initrd=0x00800000,16M
hda=bswap syno_hw_version=DS207v10
  bootcmd=bootm FFC00000 FFE00000

so I will replace the beginning of the zImage at 0xFFC00000 (but not before
I have a copy of it ;-).

> Yes, you should revert to 2 descriptors. We shouldn't change that.

I looked around for documentation on the Yukon (as opposed to Genesis)
unicast/multicast set up.  I didn't find any, but I did see that at:

  http://lwn.net/Articles/119537/

in the yukon_set_multicast() function, they enable only the unicast filter
when there is an empty multicast filter list.  I will try that when I get
a chance.

Thanks,

PS.  I now have a QNAP TS-201, so I hope to be able to play with that
shortly too ;-)

--
  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/