Re: Synology PPCBoot SK98 network bug fix

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 18:37:21 +0100
Julian Coleman <jdc%coris.org.uk@localhost> wrote:

> > > so I presume that it has tried to read the environment from somewhere
> > > on the flash.
> >
> > Yes.
>
> It would be nice to be able to write an environment to the flash ;-)

Theoretically that can be done. The Synology PPCBoot source is available
and you can read there how to create the CRC checksum and how the format
of the environment area on flash has to be.

But I doubt it is worth documenting that for the end user.
Using altboot.img works fine.

You can also flash a new PPCBoot or U-Boot firmware, with all commands
enabled. But I would avoid any risk to turn your device into a brick. ;)

>   bootargs=console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/md0 rw ip=off
> initrd=0x00800000,16M hda=bswap syno_hw_version=DS207v10 bootcmd=bootm
> FFC00000 FFE00000

Thanks. I just committed an update for the Synology installation guide.

BTW, I assume you are a native english speaker. So if you find any
form of bad english (syntax, typos, etc.) there, don't hesitate to
tell me about a better formulation.

> so I will replace the beginning of the zImage at 0xFFC00000 (but not
> before I have a copy of it ;-).

Exactly.

After that you can remove the serial cable, close the case, and enjoy
your new NetBSD server.

> I looked around for documentation on the Yukon (as opposed to Genesis)
> unicast/multicast set up.  I didn't find any, but I did see that at:
>
>   http://lwn.net/Articles/119537/
>
> in the yukon_set_multicast() function, they enable only the unicast filter
> when there is an empty multicast filter list.

Hmm? It doesn't look any different than the current NetBSD filter setup
to me. The unicast filter is only disabled in promiscious mode. Otherwise
it is always enabled - which strangely doesn't work in our altboot driver.

> PS.  I now have a QNAP TS-201, so I hope to be able to play with that
> shortly too ;-)

Great! I assume it is a V200 board? Then there should be no difference
to my TS-101 and it might "just work".

Tell me when I can declare the TS-201 as tested on the sandpoint-page. :)

--
Frank Wille