Port-playstation2 archive

Re: Building progress.

> As for licensing issues, except for touching one line in GCC to
> deactivate fixincludes (and yet that part is actually public domain),
> I didn't touched GPL stuff.

That's not the issue there.  The problem is that 4.9 is GPLv3.  I've
tried to read that license over.  Twice.  And people tell me I've still
missed big pieces.  If I have to hire a lawyer to make sense of the
license, it's a nonstarter for anything I want to do (possibly
excepting paid work) no matter what it actually permits.  I'd be
perfectly willing to believe a (hypothetical, as far as I know) claim
from whoever chose the license that it's intended to allow work such as
this, but I have no confidence to speak of that it actually does so.

> As for philosophical incompatibilities with GPL, your only practical
> solution would be to add R5900 support to LLVM.

I have issues with GPLv1 and GPLv2, but they are minor enough they
would not get in the way here.  The GPLv3, though, is too Byzantine for
me to consider it suitable for anything that doesn't have a budget for
paying lawyers.

As for LLVM, I would consider it more practical to add R5900 support to
a pre-GPLv3 version of gcc, such as the one shipped with 4.* or 5.*.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign