Re: LG Nexus 5

On 23/11/2022 11:15, Shao Miller wrote:
Good day, folks.

Hi,

After much whittling away of the "fun" that led up to being able to get a PID 1 going, attached is a patch.  This patch is _not_ intended as a worthy submission to the code-base.  It's merely evidence that the LG Nexus 5 is approachable.

Congrats!

Known issues:

1. The hack to simplefb to support 24-bit color isn't quite right.  It appears to result in green text (unless that's always true?) and there is some kind of glitch in which text from the bottom might become interleaved with text near the top, or even interleaved with such text from a previous boot of the device.  (When I used some framebuffer code from 'tinyfont' and it used 24 bits per pixel, it was fine.)

This is standard kernel colour.

$ grep WS_KERNEL_FG sys/arch/evbarm/conf/GENERIC
options         WS_KERNEL_FG=WSCOL_GREEN
$

2. The macro-names for the CPU probably warrant criticism.

Just a CPU_ID_KRAIT_P ?

3. The macros for the CPU probably aren't the right combination of specificity.

Having specific core ID macros and family macros available is common.

4. The injection of the CPU into "someone else's" section isn't right and there should probably be a new section, instead

Yeah, please do a CPU detection outside of CPU_CORTEX (Arm CPUs)

.

5. I haven't yet figured out how to provide a /dev/console.  Any suggestions would be most welcome > 6. The "platform" naming isn't quite right, but having not developed for NetBSD before, I'm uncertain as to the conventions.  SoC?  Precise phone-model?  Less-precise phone-model?  Whimsical choice?

SoC or SoC-family.

7. The "NEXUSTROUBLEXXX" lines are merely descriptive.  The use of an 'if' to block out a "problematic" line warrants further pursuit of understanding before even deciding upon a correct strategy, whether #ifdef or something else.

Do the Krait CPUs have non-architecture described caches?

8. The organization of the configuration-files probably isn't right.  If the device was fully supported, I suppose it'd probably get added into evbarm GENERIC, at such a time... or elsewhere.

evbarm/conf/GENERIC would be the goal, yes.

9. Thanks to Nick Hudson for direction towards callout(9).  I'm not sure that xxx_platform_device_register is where it belongs; probably not.

seems best from a quick glance.

10. Magical numbers everywhere, including an arbitrary choice for the framebuffer VA space.

#define the magic numbers please :) (and lower case hex digits)

11. The last time I checked, some of the low RAM is forfeited; likely due to the FDT not covering enough detail.

or firmware taking some?

Nick