Re: LG Nexus 5

I'll check these out.  Thanks, Jared.

For context, without serial on this device, it's been "fun" (weeks) to get as far as initarm(). I was hoping to rig up any panic()s with some form of observable and some panic()s are before the framebuffer business is automatically set up, which is why I was asking about hacking it in earlier; not for the "final product," though.

- Shao Miller

On 2022-11-04 01:40, Jared McNeill wrote:
Hi Shao --

You should not have to change initarm(). You can introduce SoC
specific initialization using the ARM_PLATFORM macro. Have a look at
arch/arm/sunxi/sunxi_platform.c, arch/arm/ti/omap3_platform.c for
examples. This will handle any SoC specific early init, nonstandard MP
startup, timers, reset handling, etc.

Getting your framebuffer to work should require little to no code:

- Your bootloader is responsible for setting up the display and creating
   a linear framebuffer.
- In your FDT, declare a node under /chosen (lets keep it simple and call
   it /chosen/framebuffer) with a compatible string of
   "simple-framebuffer" and describing the linear FB setup by the
   bootloader using the simple-framebuffer bindings[1]

NetBSD's simplefb driver (sys/arch/arm/fdt/arm_simplefb.c and
sys/dev/fdt/simplefb.c) will do the rest for you.

Hope this helps,
Jared

[1]
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/display/simple-framebuffer.yaml