Re: Binary packages (again)

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Luca Sironi <> wrote:
> 2012/6/5 Aleksey Cheusov <>:
>>> Shouldn't be as simple as doing pkg_add 'package' in order to have
>>> 'package' fetched and installed?
>> Do you mean without setting PKG_PATH variable?
> Is there a reason for this environment variable not being setted as default?
> opsys/arch/version are almost constant in one system.

FreeBSD's pkg_add has option -r for this purpose.

As for me, this is reasonable, but tech-pkg@ is a better place for
this discussion.

> As for the third number on the release version
> Panoramix2# pkg_add ettercap-NG
> pkg_add: Warning: package `ettercap-NG-0.7.3nb5' was built for a platform:
> pkg_add: NetBSD/i386 5.1 (pkg) vs. NetBSD/i386 5.1.2 (this host)
> I guess these warnings are useless, right?

Yes. You are right.
Such warnings should definitely be fixed.
The real fix is system-dependent, though.
On Linux, for example, kernel version doesn't matter at all.

> A message like ettercap-NG installed with a green ansi colour [ok]
> will be enough and have a better psychological effect.

Colors by default? No.