Re: X on 10.0 RC1 is unusable on my laptop

On 23/11/2023 06:15, Brett Lymn wrote:
On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 08:34:22PM +0000, Mike Pumford wrote:

Yes! This makes X work for me too.  I had gone down the rabbit hole of
trying to get the drmkms to apply the workarounds for gen 8 to my gen 7
GPU in the hope that it would work - it did once but never again.  I
still have those work arounds applied, there are only a couple that are
reported to not stick but I haven't noticed any issues yet.  Suspend and
resume works.

Great
.
Not likely to suspend and resume on my system (its a desktop development and build box) but its good to know that it works.
Oddly, the backlight comes up at minimum brightness on resume but
intel_backlight from pkgsrc sorts that.

I can clean up the debug rubbish and send a diff if you are interested
to try to see if that fixes the artifacts you are seeing.

Absolutely. If I could get rid of the artifacts it would be perfect. They self clear after about a second but they are occasionally irritating and anything we can do to improve things is a good idea.

I'm going to keep tracking my way through the drm-kmod 5.6 branch for fixes as well. I'll also be on the lookout for gen4 related fixes as well. The patch I found referenced a bug report in the freedesktop bugtracker. So if that's in any way searchable I'll see if I can work that the other way as well.

Mike