Re: Userconf & DRM driver (Was Re: Panic: no console device)

Bob Bernstein <poobah%ruptured-duck.com@localhost> writes:

> I'm wondering now how best to bring the rest of the system into sync
> with ver 8.0; it originated in my install of 7.1.2. I have managed
> to get a lot of basic configuration chores completed. I'd like to
> spare them destruction at the hands of a stupid upgrade, i.e. one
> master-minded by ME.

This is not the easy way to get started, but once set up it is easy to
update.

Install pkgsrc/sysutils/etcmanage, and read the README, probably 5 times
in a row.  Use "etcmanage --import" on an unpacked tree of the etc and
xetc sets you used to install, or the latest netbsd-7 if you don't have
that.  Use BUILD-NetBSD to run the build, and use 'INSTALL-NetBSD
installuser' to install (and update etc).   It does what I want :-)   Of
course, back up first.

Then, "etcmanage --up /usr/netbsd-etc", understand all differences, and
reduce them unless you intend them to continue to be different.

Do actually read the scripts in the package.  They are written to be
comprehensible, or at least I thought so at the time.

This sounds bad and it will take you some hours the first time.  But
then, you can build and upgrade with almost no work.

I have machines I have been upgrading in place since at least 2006 and
probably earlier, with a few hw upgrades (dump/restore) in the middle.
But not reinstalls.

There are other approaches in pkgsrc, and there is the standard approach
in the guide.