Panic: no console device

After years away from BSDLand, I am attempting an install. I used a partitioning tool to create an "unallocated" partition on my olde eMachine Windows 7 box, and then burned version 8.0 boot.iso to a CD and booted the old box with it.

Btw, what is boot-com.iso for?

Do I need to get some blank DVD's?

How reassuring it was to see the screen fill up with peaceful green text, until, as noted in the Subject: line above, everything ground to a halt. I seemed to land in the debugger, a tool with which I am not fluent. But I remember the panic line.

I'm willing to bang away at this. Can someone suggest a useful next step for me?

All best,

--
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
                             Hitchens' Razor