Re: Panic: no console device

poobah%ruptured-duck.com@localhost (Bob Bernstein) writes:

>Btw, what is boot-com.iso for?

Installation with a serial console. You need a real COM port for
that.

>How reassuring it was to see the screen fill up with peaceful
>green text, until, as noted in the Subject: line above,
>everything ground to a halt. I seemed to land in the debugger, a
>tool with which I am not fluent. But I remember the panic line.

It's probably trying to use a graphics card that isn't supported.
In that case you could try to intercept the bootloader to get a
prompt and 'boot netbsd -c'. This will start in userconf mode where,
assuming the keyboard works, you can disable the DRM driver for
your graphics card. When you quit userconf mode, it will then
fall back to use the plain VGA driver.

Or when possible, use the serial console.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost