Re: Trying to boot from USB pendrive image on a netbook

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 11:28:39AM -0200, Michel Behr wrote:

> Do you think it would be possible to use the windows drivers for
> atheros through ndiscvt?

I am not 100% sure but I think the ndis support is not in a working
state.

> So, in your opinion should I:
> 1. Try ndiscvt

Probably a path full of pain and misery...

> 2. Try porting from freebsd

That would be a great asset if you can do this.  You do need to be aware
(as others have mentioned) that the kernel API is different between
FreeBSD and NetBSD.  Also the 802.11 layer is very different but apart
from that you may be able to just pick out the changes to make the
NetBSD athn driver talk to your hardware.  Sometimes it is just a matter
of adding the PCI ids in and inserting them into the match routine of
the driver... if you are lucky, if you aren't you will need to comb
through the whole driver and work out what needs to be updated.

> 3. Check if I can help whoever is working on this in netbsd (I like that
> option even if I follow the other ones)

Perhaps someome is... I am sure they would welcome a tester.

> 4. Buy an external USB wireless device. :-)

Probably the simplest thing to do but you need to find a dongle that has
a supported wireless chip in it otherwise you are back to the beginning
again ;)

--
Brett Lymn
Staple Guns: because duct tape doesn't make that KerCHUNK sound - xkcd.com