Trying to boot from USB pendrive image on a netbook

Yes, that's correct, I'm on Linux mint. I'm preparing the image on Linux.

Havard, thank you for your support. I saw a message (in 2012) from you stating that for 2230 there was not yet a similar driver because it was a different family of device, and there was not yet a port in freebsd or openbsd.
https://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2012/10/19/msg011722.html

I'm assuming in dmesg I should consider the line that says:
vendor 0x168c product 0x0032 (miscellaneous network, revision 0x01) at pci2 dev0 function 0 not configured

So "miscellaneous network" means "wireless card ", considering that Ethernet was correctly recognized and assigned as re0, right?

I think there might be other devices not recognized, but I don't want to mix subjects for this thread (if you could just point a good "dmesg interpretation" reference would be great).

Back to 2230 driver, there's an upgraded version of iwn for freebsd that includes the centrino 2230 - maybe the link below is useful (I don't know exactly what to do with it though):
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=258829

Should I try using this freebsd driver...?

Anyway... Thanx again

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014, Brett Lymn <blymn%internode.on.net@localhost> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:17:33AM +0100, Niels Dettenbach wrote:

> > # dd if=netbsd.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4K
>
> ...hmmm, not shure, but i assume you have to use the "raw device" of your sdb0
> - should be something like /dev/rsdb or similiar.

No, he looks to be using linux to do the dd, that is the correct device.

--
Brett Lymn
Staple Guns: because duct tape doesn't make that KerCHUNK sound - xkcd.com