Re: dynamic authenticated tunnel set-up

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014, Paul Goyette wrote:
In the not-too-distant future, I'll be moving overseas, to a location where fixed IPv4 network addresses are unavailable (or at least, they will be prohibitively expensive!)

I'm planning to get a virtual machine in a US location, with a single fixed IPv4 address. All of my other machines will be sitting behind some ISP's NAT device. And that ISP doesn't do IPv6.

I would like to set things up so that my US-based virtual host is a backup MX mail server for my domain, and one of the behind-the-NAT machines would be the primary mail server.

I can get an adequate supply of fixed IPv6 addresses from the company that hosts the US-based virtual machine, so I can assign addresses to the behind-the-NAT machines. But I would need some sort of tunnel between the virtual host and the rest of the machines.

I know I can set this up using "ssh -w" and tun(4) devices, but the ssh man page seems to indicate that this is not necessarily a good solution (due to significant overhead?).

So I'm looking for other options.  My primary requirements are fairly simple:

* the tunnel needs to be established regardless of the address/port being used on the behind-the-NAT end

* the tunnel establishment must be authenticated in some manner, so that only my systems can connect

* the outer (encapsulating) protocol must be IPv4, while the inner (encapsulated) protocol must be IPv6

* it would also be highly desired that the tunnel establishment occur automatically, and with automatic retry if the connection drops

Any suggestions on something simple?

openvpn will deliver on all those requirements.

--
Stephen