Re: Trying to boot from USB pendrive image on a netbook

Thank you for all the responses!

I tested with the correct image (img 6.1.3 i386) and it booted, but my wireless card wasn't recognized.

So now to make it work I'll try first the "easy" path: creating the img image from CURRENT like someone suggested - "maybe someone improved your driver there". But my netbook (Lenovo ideapad s400) comes with a relatively new wireless card (Intel centrino 2230 N) so it will probably not be recognized either.

Then I'll try converting the windows ndis driver using ndisctv - it seems pretty straightforward in the man page (just use the .INF and .SYS files as inputs and it will generate "an object code module that can be linked into the NetBSD kernel" - I don't know yet if I can interpret this as "driver", or how to use the output generated.. let's see.

I was considering using freebsd version of iwn driver - I've seen in the post below that people at DragonFlyBSD got 2230 working:
http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/commitdiff/08936797fdff2030588ca75e7ff84062dddf0133

...but of course DragonFlyBSD is a fork of FreeBSD, so that's probably the reason why the 2 projects can interchange drivers with certain ease. So looking for ways to port drivers from FreeBSD to NetBSD, I've found some "hints" here:
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/kernel/porting-freebsd-net.html

Since I only understand 10% of what is described on the network section, I hope to not end up there...

If you guys have a better advice for me, please let me know...

Cheers!

Michel.

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014, Niels Dettenbach <nd%syndicat.com@localhost> wrote:
Am Montag, 10. Februar 2014, 21:09:05 schrieben Sie:
> # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=4k count=50000
>
> just in case...  :-) And then writing the image with:
>
> # dd if=netbsd.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4K

...hmmm, not shure, but i assume you have to use the "raw device" of your sdb0
- should be something like /dev/rsdb or similiar.

hth,
cheerioh,

Niels.
--