Re: Downloading NetBSD - Too complicated ?

On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 01:51:06PM +0100, Zafer Aydoğan wrote:
> Hello NetBSD-Users,
>
> A couple of days ago I stumbled across the announcement of PCBSD 10
> and gave it a shot.
> Downloading was easy and fast, because it utilizes a CDN.
> At that point, I crosschecked with www.netbsd.org and was embarrassed, how
> complicated it is to get a copy of NetBSD.
>
> Here is the click path to get a copy of NetBSD, starting from www.netbsd.org:
>
> 1.: Click on "Get NetBSD" link
> 2.: Click on FTP link
> 3.: Click on one of the mirrors
> 4.: Click on a version, e.g. 6.1.3
> 5.: Click on images
> 6.: Click on an iso file

You're right, Zafer, the website shows some room for improvement.

I've read arguments that the long click path serves as a qualifying exam
for NetBSD users: the ones who figure it out are the ones who we want to
use NetBSD.  I disagree.  The path is going to lose website visitors who
have limited time and patience, no matter how intelligent or educable
they are.  The more sensitive a visitor is to efficiency in website
organization and to a proper division of labor between user / designer /
computer, the more exasperating that click path may be!

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung%pobox.com@localhost    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981