Re: Compiling 6.0_RC1 fails

Thanks for your response,

> >Some methods for upgrading using pkgsrc builds are documented at
> >
> >and

Actually I did NOT mean to update the packages to the LATEST versions.
I had a pain story with FreeBSD ports.
But I only want to rebuild (from source) all installed packages QUARTERLY.
For example, the last pkgsrc tree is pkgsrc-2012Q2.
End of Q3 is not arrived.
There might be some latest versions for each individual package,
which are newer than ones in Q2.
But I do not consider that; I only concern with pkgsrc in each quarter.
``make update'' will do this but it is dangerous.
(If I am wrong, please correct me.)

> >You may also choose to use binary packages (if available for your
> >platform) and use pkgin (or nih).
I have only one machine to get updated, pkgin not required.
And AFAIK nih currently supports only binary updates.
So both should not be my choices.

> For today I am still using pkg_chk;
Does pkg_chk update all packages to the latest for each individual package?
Or it does update to ones given quarterly in pkgsrc tree?
(I opt the later.)

Pongthep Kulkrisada
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system,
but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity."
-- Dennis M. Ritchie