Re: Web browser: stuck with Opera-9.62

Hello,

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 11:26:10AM +0100, Lasse Hillerøe Petersen wrote:
>[...]
>
> However, this seems to become more and more fragile. When I tried to
> rebuild my 5.1 system, sound stopped working in Flash. My latest
> nearly-working system was a ThinkPad R50e with NetBSD 5.1 and Firefox
> 3.6. I can't remember versions of Java, Flash or pluginwrapper, alas
> the machine failed due to old age a few days ago. Java worked for some
> things, but since I switched from a self-built native JDK to OpenJDK,
> I had some problems with signed applets, rendering for example my
> netbanking useless. Also, FF 3.6 leaked memory excessively, to the
> point that I had to restart it twice a day.
>
> Right now I am using a machine with 5.99.58 and versions of everything
> from pkgsrc-current, as it was on 9. december 2011. Flash is
> unfortunately not working, and Java I have not really tested yet.
> openjdk7-1.7.0.147.20110811nb1 Open-source implementation of the Java
> Platform, Standard Edition
> xulrunner-8.0       XML User Interface Language runtime environment
> nspluginwrapper-1.2.2nb10 Use Netscape compatible plugins from other platforms
> libflashsupport-1.1 Additional Interface Support for Linux Flash Player
> adobe-flash-plugin-10.0.0.525 Adobe Flash Player Browser plugin
>[...]

It is no wonder why NetBSD has a hard time keeping on par: the size of
the things, with no standard whatsoever, the daunting dependencies are
simply crazy.

I had a look at Chromium... Just to _link_ the thing, it is said to need
at leat 2 Gigabytes of memory! Even for my professional needs (CAD, GIS)
, I have only 512 Mb and no problem with my apps...

I think we are reaching the diminushing returns. To have such a hard
time trying to get a thing working, to find less and less interesting
things to see on the Web. Lynx rules ;) And to twitter, this for birds
brains.

Cheers,
                      http://www.kergis.com/