Web browser: stuck with Opera-9.62

tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I'd like to know if with :
 >
 > NetBSD 5.0.2 i386
 >
 > others have found a working Web browser. Opera-9.62 works but is old
 > (i.e. has a long list of vulnerabilies). Other versions in pkgsrc or wip
 > do install but freeze almost immediately.
 >
 > Chromium is not ready (and the size of the thing!). Firefox depends
 > on so many things, I seem unable to achieve a compilation.
 >
 > So has somebody experencied freezes with Opera > 9.62 and found a cure?
 > Or is there some web browser, not insanely huge beast that works for an
 > unfortunately "normal" usage that is with JavaScript (I still use lynx
 > or links... but that doesn't work for every site).
 >
 > TIA,
 > --
 >         Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
 >                       http://www.kergis.com/
 > Key fingerprint = 0FF7 E906 FBAF FE95 FD89  250D 52B1 AE95 6006 F40C

Hi Thierry.

I'am running Opera v11.11, but I had to patch the NetBSD kernel to
avoid kernel dumps when starting Opera. v11.11 does sometimes freeze or
crash, especially when I have a lot of open tabs. Newer versions of
Opera crash too frequently to be of any use for me.

However, the most annoying issue is that the newest flashplayer I can
get to work is v9r280, and image and sound are out of sync :-(
Flash videos played in Opera are temporarily saved in /tmp as
/tmp/Flash...... They can be played (almost) in sync with mplayer :-|

Btw I am running NetBSD v5.1. Let me know if you want a copy of my
obscure kernel patching guide (110 lines of commands and comments).

Kind regards
  Ib-Michael
--
Email: i.m.martinsen(at)gmail.com