Re: patching for 2010-002: I feel like an idiot, but this isn't working

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010, Greg Troxel wrote:

I just discovered "Chapter 33. Updating
an existing system from sources" in "The NetBSD guide".

Also, you may or may not find it useful to install

By some interesting coincidence, the arrival of your message
caused a beep exactly as I was reading its DESCR file.  :-)

I use this to update systems along netbsd-5 all the time.  It also lets
me build on one system and install on another.

It may turn out to be be overkill for me, but I have a note
to compare it to plain "etcupdate".  Thank you.

I have updated my src and xsrc from netbsd-5, and have
carefully prepared, after much reading, an appropriate version
of the "update recipe" from chapter 33, along with a bunch of
questions, most of which I can safely answer by playing with
the commands.  I have two small questions about the "install"
phase, though, that might be appropriate to ask here:

  In "./ [...] install=/"

  (a) Do I need to specify "-x" to have X updated/installed too?
  (b) Why doesn't the example in chapter 33 use "-u" to make sure
      that MKUPDATE=yes is set so that we don't unnecessarily
      replace unchanged files?  Or am I misunderstanding the use
      of "-u" in the context of "install"?