Re: patching for 2010-002: I feel like an idiot, but this isn't working

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Anne Bennett
<anne%porcupine.montreal.qc.ca@localhost> wrote:
> I suspect I don't need most of the above; I already have a
> full source tree (symlinked from /usr/src), and I can build
> kernels just fine without "tools" or "obj" - I'm enough of
> a dinosaur to "config" and "make depend && make" manually
> without the newfangled "build.sh".  ;-)

I'm pretty much a dinosaur too, I used to do the whole "make world"
stuff in NetBSD and FreeBSD, but build.sh is a revelation. It's really
one of the absolute best things about NetBSD. Take a look at the
"release" option for example.

I know you said you don't want to make install sets, but it can be
useful to have them in case you need to rebuild the system (if you
don't have backups), or build another test system which you know will
have the exact same software.

I really don't understand the need to continue using "make install" or
"make world' or whatever, other than for some targeted re-build, but
maybe I'm missing something. I can't help you there.

Unfortunately I run headless servers for the most part, so I don't
build xsrc. I know build.sh will do it though. If I'm using X on a
desktop, I'm installing and upgrading from CD... I'm not normally
building the X stuff.

Andy