Re: Aha2940 SCSI card support? (Also attendant SCSI Seagate drives)

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 5:12 AM, Stephen Borrill
<netbsd%precedence.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, Gregg Levine wrote:
>>
>> My mistake. Yes this is the same system as before, except that I've
>> switched out the IDE gear for the SCSI ones, including replacing the
>> fixed disk drive with that Seagate one, and a IDE CD-R/W drive for a
>> SCSI one.
>>
>> The CD only seemed to work on the system with the internal IDE system
>> active, as a opposed to the SCSI system, which is indeed using a
>> AHA-2940.
>
> It sounds as though you are saying that you are unable to boot from CDROM
> when using a SCSI CD drive. This means it just isn't providing the right
> services to the BIOS. This isn't a NetBSD issue; you wouldn't be able to
> boot Windows or Linux either.
>
> Is there any evidence that it's even attempting to boot from CD? Does it say
> anything relevant on the screen?
>
> --
> Stephen

Hello!
Actually yes. (Meaning that even Windows won't properly install in this setup.)
Nothing relevant to why this is happening. So far the only good idea
that landed is that I'm going to return to using the basic IDE drives,
and I've tracked down three to try on still another machine.

I've decided to leave SCSI supported hardware to Solaris since I know
that works with this hardware as a certainty.

So I'll be posting more results on that decision regarding IDE disks
and a different machine shortly.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8%gmail.com@localhost
"This signature was once found posting rude
 messages in English in the Moscow subway."