Re: Aha2940 SCSI card support? (Also attendant SCSI Seagate drives)

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 12:07 AM, Greg Oster <oster%cs.usask.ca@localhost> wrote:
> "Gregg Levine" writes:
>>
>> Now a new problem. The CD that I created from the image on the default
>> ftp site, happens to be booting only on a system wearing IDE based
>> drives, that includes a CD drive as well as the regular HD one.
>> (Incidentally the original CD drive was actually a CD-R/W type of
>> drive.)
>
> Does this mean it won't boot on a machine with SCSI?  Or that you've
> only tried it on a box with IDE drives?
>
>> Is there some way to properly master a CD image that will boot no
>> matter what sort of system its put on? Please note that the only
>> NetBSD system is the one we are discussing.
>
> I think you'll have better luck in getting a helpful answer if you
> describe your system (is it "the one we are discussing" or a
> different one??) in a bit more detail...  (The standard kernels
> should handle a lot of different SCSI adapters, including the 2940.)
>
> Later...
>
> Greg Oster

Hello!
My mistake. Yes this is the same system as before, except that I've
switched out the IDE gear for the SCSI ones, including replacing the
fixed disk drive with that Seagate one, and a IDE CD-R/W drive for a
SCSI one.

The CD only seemed to work on the system with the internal IDE system
active, as a opposed to the SCSI system, which is indeed using a
AHA-2940.

My next step will be to work my way through three other SCSI CD-ROM drives.

I also have several SCSI fixed disks, including two other 18.37 ones,
and one or two 9.19 ones.

Ideally if this turns out to be a big non-issue then I'll go back to
the IDE configuration, and temporarily give up the idea of using SCSI.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8%gmail.com@localhost
"This signature was once found posting rude
 messages in English in the Moscow subway."