NetBSD-Users archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

Re: 3.1 -> 4.0, further issues

I must say that "ad0s3e" (and "rad0s3e") looks like the name of a FreeBSD
device / slice / partition to me.  (No wonder fsck couldn't find it.)  Did
you accidentally type in the name of the FreeBSD slice (ad0s3) somewhere
in the installer?

I'm reasonably certain I didn't do that (if 'reasonably' can be said to embrace the possibility that I am mad or have some memory issues I am unaware of). I wouldn't have thought to type it.

  I can't say exactly what you should tell the installer to use instead
(wd0 -something?) but this looks like the main problem..

I'm almost as reasonably certain I did do this.

Hmm.  I'm guessing that the NetBSD installer is seeing the FreeBSD
partition as a NetBSD one, and assumes it's okay to mess with it.

That's my impression, too. I'd like to figure out _where_ in the process it happens, so I could make something like a cogent bug report, or at least a stab at one. :)

Anyhoo, I went ahead and _installed_ 4.0. Oddly enough, THIS left me with a system that had all my old 3.1 data intact (but not network connectivity), and b0rked my FreeBSD up in some different way that the previous EZ fix doesn't repair (cfdisk reports that the partition is a FreeBSD one, but it doesn't seem to want to boot any more).



Glenn Becker -
SDF Public Access UNIX System -

Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index