Re: How do I keep testing current-amd64 witout so much trouble?

Hi folks,

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 01:57:56PM -0800, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, Paul Goyette wrote:
> That means I just also keep the 5.99.4 kernel, and not the 5.99.5 kernel
> that had booted previously.
>
> It also assumes that userland hasn't changed so much that the old kernel
> still works, which isn't the case all the time. For that reason, I
> reinstall most everything from the 5.99.4 kernel.

My usual strategy is to keep userland the same and only upgrade it now and
then when things are quiet or it starts to get too old.

I normally run a -current kernel + modules even on my `production' machine
without problems and if its not working fine i'll revert to an older version
of kernel. Since my userland normally lags quite a lot this is almost never an
issue. Dont forget to allways only update userland if its kernel is running
fine for some time. Then you're safe :)

Just my $0.02

With regards,

Reinoud