Re: amd64 system powering down

On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 11:29:35PM +0200, Patrick Welche wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 12:40:48AM +0200, Kurt Schreiner wrote:
> > Maybee what I see on my Thinkpad T43p is something similar: Since a week
> > (or so) after some minutes of usage (running GENERIC) the thing becomes
> > more and more unresponsive, warms up (fan becomes noisy) and eventually
> > powers down.
>
> I have caught my laptop spinning its fan when 100% idle recently - I don't
> think its the incredibly hot weather we are having :-) cf 2 stoppages
> during Wimbledon final - is more work being done during the idle loop
> these days?
Hm, I think I've tracked my problem down to the following: Doesn't matter
what kernel I use, just switching from X11 to console via F1 brings the
notebook down in a minute or so. One of the temperature sensors goes from
ca. 70 degC to over 110 degC and eventually the beast is shut down by the
BIOS... Switching back to X11 (while it's still running ;-) doesn't change
anything.
Graphic chip is (from scanpci):
 pci bus 0x0001 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x1002 device 0x3154
 ATI Technologies Inc M24 1T [FireGL M24 GL]

Perhaps I should try X11 from pkgsrc instead of the native one?

Kurt