Re: amd64 system powering down

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 11:34:48PM +0200, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> [...]
> Not yet. Note the system was working fine before I upgraded from Ubuntu
> Linux a few days ago. (I am purposely using -current since I need some
> hardware features.)
Maybee what I see on my Thinkpad T43p is something similar: Since a week
(or so) after some minutes of usage (running GENERIC) the thing becomes
more and more unresponsive, warms up (fan becomes noisy) and eventually
powers down.

What helps is using a custom kernel w/o uhci!

From dmesg:

ehci0 at pci0 dev 29 function 7: Intel 82801FB/FR USB EHCI Controller (rev.
0x03)
ehci0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 19
ehci0: EHCI version 1.0
ehci0: wrong number of companions (4 != 0)
ehci0: ohci or uhci probably not configured
usb0 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0

Maybee there are some hardware problems with this notebook as it refuses
to reboot sometimes, but w/o uhci it's ok for normal use...

Perhaps you could try a "uhci-free" kernel?

Just another shot in the dark...

Kurt