Re: amd64 system powering down

(Replying to two emails below.)

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 03:00:42PM -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> >                 Current      Max      Min      Avg     Unit
> > temperature:     84.000   86.000   81.000   83.667     deg
>
> Is that acpitz0 or coretemp?

Sorry that is [acpitz0].

I don't detect any coretemp or any other temperatures. I don't know
coretemp.

dmesg is at
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-amd64/2008/06/28/msg000339.html

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> Have you tried memtestplus?  (I'm grasping at straws...)  It's not a
> generic problem with dual-core amd64; I do builds on my Thinkpad T61
> quite often.

Not yet. Note the system was working fine before I upgraded from Ubuntu
Linux a few days ago. (I am purposely using -current since I need some
hardware features.)

> Hmm -- try booting with 'no acpi' and see what happens.  Of course, I
> think that will take away your ability to monitor temperature.

I will try later.

> Can you ssh in remotely and look at log data there in real-time?  The
> ssh windows won't go away for several minutes at least after the crash,
> until the kernel is back up and sending RSTs.

Yes, that is how I am going it now. That is how I got my temperature and
systat details in near real time. I don't see anything else.

This is my wife's system and I am sure I am frustrating her :)

I will updated -current again and try it too.