Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/fonts/dejavu-ttf

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 02:17:20PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Everybody else has been quiet.  I'd like to hear from others about the
> big picture issue here.

Pandora's box - trying not to open it ;-)

I can totaly sympathize with Hauke's "avoid all binaries I don't ever need
on this server" mantra, but also with your orthogonality POV.

Fonts are a bit special and I wouldn't find either of the following
too disturbing:

 (1) make font registration optional at install time.
     If this causes trouble, your system is misconfigured.

     How likely is it to run into a ttf font being installed as the
     first thing needing mkfontdir on a machine where you have (or are
     going to get, via X11_TYPE=modular) a working X setup? If it
     would be possible when starting with a plain empty pkgs machine,
     maybe we can slightly adjust dependencies so that mkfontdir gets
     installed earlier in the dependecy DAG (but my guess is there would
     be no change needed)

 (2) add support for the global x11 option to a few ttf packages
     (and of course default them to yes)

Martin