Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/fonts/dejavu-ttf

On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 14:17:20 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> Everybody else has been quiet.  I'd like to hear from others about the
> big picture issue here.

I agree that setting X11_TYPE=modular is the correct fix. The purpose
of having X.org modularized is to not have to install the whole
userland. mkfontscale has a run-time dependency on graphics/freetype2
and fonts/libfontenc. These have an installed size of approx ~2.5 MiB
and 80 KiB, respectively. Compare this to typical "server" packages
like perl5 at 75 MiB or python38 at 100 MiB.
I don't understand the "no X binaries on my server" mantra. By all means
don't install the Xorg server for security reasons.

-Tobias