Re: Failure message when inconsistent X11_TYPE

On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 at 14:49, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> Edgar Fuß <ef%math.uni-bonn.de@localhost> writes:
>
> >> So I'd say that if you don't install the X11 sets in NetBSD, you should
> >> set X11_TYPE to modular, and if you haven't done that your system is
> >> misconfigured.
> > I'd prefer if, in case something inadvertently pulls in X11, the build
> > would fail early instead of wasting time on trying to build X11.
>
> I am somewhat sympathetic, but I really don't see X11 as different from
> any other large dependency that some people don't like.  It's only
> special because we have two ways to provide it, one of which is part of
> base.   I would put gtk, qt5, rust all in the same "large and some
> people don't like them" category.   We don't have a mechanism to
> configure pkgsrc to fail if any are attempted, and I don't think we
> should.
> [...]

(As an aside - after being caught several times by something pulling
in pkgsrc openssh and (in the past) libiberty I now have the following
pulled into mk.conf - in case anyone is looking for a quick "I _never_
want pkg FOO to even attempt to be built" on their system)

  PKG_NEVER_BUILD=\
    devel/libiberty \
    security/openssh

. if !empty(PKG_NEVER_BUILD:M${PKGPATH})
    BROKEN="Local config set to never build"
. endif