Re: Failure message when inconsistent X11_TYPE

Hauke Fath wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 15:16:38 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I think your point is that the check blowing up on mkfontdir should only
>> happen if the package has USE_TOOLS+= mkfontdir, and that code that does
>> not try to use X11 should not complain.
>
> Precisely.

You mentioned PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS being set to -x11 but editors/xemacs-packages doesn't implement the options framework.

$ make show-var VARNAME=USE_TOOLS
printf pax find gawk gzip gtar perl:run [ awk dirname echo grep pwd sed test true date tr awk:pkgsrc cut:pkgsrc echo:pkgsrc pwd:pkgsrc           sed:pkgsrc tr:pkgsrc uname:pkgsrc awk cat cmp diff echo find grep rm sed test touch true ftp:bootstrap digest:bootstrap gtar gzcat patch digest:bootstrap [ awk basename cat chgrp chmod chown cmp cp cut dirname echo  egrep env false fgrep find grep head hostname id install ln ls  mkdir mv printf pwd rm rmdir sed sh sort                        tail test touch tr true wc xargs expr mkfontdir:run

mkfontdir has been added by FONTS_DIRS.x11 as reminded by Joerg. When I look at the PLIST file, I understand that this tool generates fonts in the 3 directories listed in FONTS_DIRS.x11. Then it is needed to build the package and must be provided by either a xbase set or by pkgsrc.

I'm not an emacs user and I don't know the architecture of package tree for this editor. But I don't understand why you try to build editors/xemacs-packages on a sans-X11 machine while there is editors/emacs-packages. Maybe we could move FONTS_DIRS.x11 of editors/xemacs-packages from Makefile to options.mk but I'm not sure if it is relevant since I can read that XEmacs is an editor for X Window systems.