Re: Deciding on wich variant(s) of OpenBLAS library to install

Am Sun, 25 Mar 2018 12:06:57 -0500
schrieb Jason Bacon <outpaddling%yahoo.com@localhost>:

> 1. The ability to install multiple BLAS/LAPACK libs simultaneously

We agree.

> 2. The ability to override the default for individual dependent packages

Please clarify: Do you mean the packager shall be able to override a
default the user/admin set? Or do you mean that the user/admin shall be
able to specify a per-package BLAS choice different from the default
(be it pkgsrc default or set in local mk.conf)?

My priority is to have consistent BLAS by default and override by user
where desired. I know that we have some disagreement regarding
compatibility of BLAS packages for dependent packages … but since the
BLAS-using packages are few, we can check if they work with the default
(serial openblas, I presume) and leave possible troubles to the
conscious user who sets a different default. We are talking abount
scientists who are used to messy situations;-)

> Take a look at FreeBSD ports, where Netlib, Atlas, and OpenBLAS are all
> available.  It's not an ideal solution, and issues do arise, but they're
> solvable and it's working well in the end.

And I point at the Debian way, that has all BLAS installed, but
normally only one in use. We should have the best of those worlds.

I might actually be able to start working on this now …

Alrighty then,

Thomas

--
Dr. Thomas Orgis