Re: Versioning unversioned packages

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 09:25:08AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> How do you deal with unreleased versions, both before the first release,
> and after some released version?

EPOCH can be used for that.  unrelease versions end up with a date usually,
for the first version, and we tend to use pl or beta depending on the internal
version for stuff that goes in between.

> > The only slightly annoying part is EPOCH: once set, it can never ever be
> > reset... not really such a big bother in real life.
>
> How often does EPOCH get used?

Not that often actually.
sqlite> select count(EPOCH) from ports;
316
sqlite> select count(FULLPKGPATH) from ports;
9741