Re: Running NetBSD installer on VM to install on real disk [Was: NetBSD 9.3 UEFI...]

On Sun, Dec 04, 2022 at 09:32:56AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> That sounds like a bug.

I just tested with the installer from -current and a fake setup trying
to mimic parts of your environment. I used labels for the NetBSD partitions
to make their identification easier later.

Before:

# gpt show -a vnd0
      start       size  index  contents
          0          1         PMBR
          1          1         Pri GPT header
          2         32         Pri GPT table
         34       4062         Unused
       4096     262144      1  GPT part - EFI System
                                 Type: efi
                                 TypeID: c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b
                                 GUID: 2df53c72-b805-4fef-8029-c13bd1a0c897
                                 Size: 128 M
                                 Label:
                                 Attributes: None
     266240    3072000      2  GPT part - Linux data
                                 Type: linux-data
                                 TypeID: 0fc63daf-8483-4772-8e79-3d69d8477de4
                                 GUID: ede3d951-58f6-4d3b-9075-f83dd2ccb979
                                 Size: 1500 M
                                 Label:
                                 Attributes: None
    3338240   61444096      3  GPT part - NetBSD FFSv1/FFSv2
                                 Type: ffs
                                 TypeID: 49f48d5a-b10e-11dc-b99b-0019d1879648
                                 GUID: 3bbc2e24-6609-44ca-bfce-4db31b371bb8
                                 Size: 30002 M
                                 Label: NetBSD root
                                 Attributes: None
   64782336   91447296      4  GPT part - NetBSD swap
                                 Type: swap
                                 TypeID: 49f48d32-b10e-11dc-b99b-0019d1879648
                                 GUID: 8cec37a5-e43f-4174-a3b4-33a4eb17d8e2
                                 Size: 44652 M
                                 Label: NetBSD swap
                                 Attributes: None
  156229632       1695         Unused
  156231327         32         Sec GPT table
  156231359          1         Sec GPT header

Then I select:

	>a: Install NetBSD to hard disk

and in the "Available disks" menu select

	>f: Preconfigured "wedges" dk(4)

Now it offers me a selection of GPT partitions, most only liste by GUID,
but among them:

	>j: NetBSD root (dk9@vnd0)

and then I end up in a mostly regular install process:

 Ok, we are now ready to install NetBSD on your hard disk (dk9).  Nothing has
 been written yet.  This is your last chance to quit this process before
 anything gets changed.

 Shall we continue?

                               +---------------+
                               x Yes or no?    x
                               x               x
                               x>a: No         x
                               x b: Yes        x
                               +---------------+

Since I did not newfs the NetBSD root partition upfront:

 The selected partition does not seem to have a valid file system.
 Do you want to newfs (format) it?

	>b: Yes

and then it recognizes the swap partition "near by":

 A swap partition (named NetBSD swap)
 seems to exist on vnd0.
 Do you want to use that?

	>a: Yes

and then I get asked for the sets I want to install, selected

	>a: Full installation

and network download via http/https

	>b: HTTP

I had preconfigured my network, it recognized this and skipped dhcp/network
setup:

 Your network seems to work fine.
 Should we skip the configuration
 and just use the network as-is?

	>a: Yes

and then I just acked the defaults for download from nycdn.NetBSD.org/
latest and everything installed just fine.

After that I would have had to fixup booting "somehow", but since this was
a fake test setup, I skipped that part ;-)

Martin