Re: Running NetBSD installer on VM to install on real disk [Was: NetBSD 9.3 UEFI...]

On Sat, Dec 03, 2022 at 08:37:33AM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> On the same disk I have Void Linux and Windows installations.

The installer is not very smart when you create multi-boot installations
(unless you have a disk per OS).

I would not go via the VM detour, but instead:

 1) add partition(s) for NetBSD (root mandatory, swap optional)
    - you can do this manually from any other OS if it allows you to
      force a specific GPT type for the partition
    - you can do this from the install medium and abort the installation
      after partitions have been created

 2) install (e.g. from the USB install image) by selecting "preconfigured
    wedges (dk(4))" in the target disk selection and picking the root
    partition you added in (1)

 3) manually fix booting - this is higly dependend on whatever boot selection
    scheme you use (I myself only ever use the UEFI boot menu and pick
    the dedicated disk for whatever OS).
    If you use UEFI to boot NetBSD, you have to copy /usr/mdec/bootx64.efi
    (e.g. from the installer) to the EFI partition (typical dir: efi/boot)
    and somehow configure your firmware to boot it

Martin