Re: NetBSD 9.2 installer can't detect disk of some Hetzner VPSes

Hej,

> Am 21.07.2022 um 09:49 schrieb Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost>:
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 08:17:08AM +0200, Matthias Petermann wrote:
>> At the moment, I only encounter the described problem when I select the AMD
>> variant. Mayuresh, can you confirm this?
>
> I did observe this. But they said the following (pasted on the thread
> before)
>
> <quote>
> Most of our Systems and all AMD Hosts already use Q35 as default virtual
> chipset.  It seems like you had luck to get a CX (Intel) Host that still
> uses i440FX.
> </quote>

I ran into this problem today, since helsinki ran out of intel servers.

> The way I interpret:
>
> AMD => Q35
>
> Intel => some i440FX and some Q35.
>
> You are 'lucky' if you find host that 'still' uses i440FX  => some intel
> have i440FX, though eventually all will have Q35.

What is the problem with Q35, i mean, is there a plan to support that virtual chipset?
I noticed FreeBSD boots just fine.
Whereas, the 9.2 ISO just does not find disks (and network, as far as I can tell).
And cloning 9.99.95 just panics (syscall (number 5).  while trying cnopen().
Besides - does anyone know how to get the output of the virtual console copied?

> In my limited experiments I did not find Intel with Q35 though.
>
> On request, they reconfigure it to i440FX, which is what helped me set up
> AMD.

I tried that, will see if they will do that (and when).
But that is not really a viable solution since I tended to delete and recreate servers there.
Which is no at least not instanteneously possible when support is needed for every setup.

Cheers
	Oskar