Re: NetBSD 9.2 installer can't detect disk of some Hetzner VPSes

Hello,

Am 11.07.2022 um 18:27 schrieb Robert Elz:
     Date:        Mon, 11 Jul 2022 21:43:15 +0530
     From:        Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost>

   | Hetzner agreed to set a compatible chipset for my instance. So I finally
   | got the configuration I needed and have just installed NetBSD 9.2 on that.

Good.

   | Shouldn't qemu with the chipset setting they mentioned suffice for
   | testing?

Yes, I guess it should ... I'm not a qemu user, don't even have it
installed (though that is in progress now) so I may need some advice
on how to operate it to get the desired effect...

   | There are some difficulties in testing on Hetzner such as
   |
   | - As their reply suggests, there is no guarantee about which chipset
   |   your new instances will get. It's a bit random.

Yes, though they did say (from what you posted) that all the AMD cpu
instances have the one which has the problem, so that might not have
been a problem.

   | - I doubt whether they'd allow an arbitrary image. They have provided
   |   NetBSD 9.2 released image on their platform.

But that's a different issue...    And as you suggest, testing would
be much easier done locally than exporting ISO images for you to try
anyway.   Of course, even if we find something to fix, it isn't likely
to get into their provided image any time soon.

kre

since today I have the same problem with a newly created VPS at Hetzner.

This is not the only VPS with NetBSD that I manage there, so for me, the first question is which *chipset* I would have to request there for it to work? I especially want to make sure that after a hard reboot of my existing VPS, it doesn't happen to use this incompatible chipset as well.

Further, I'd like to follow up on what the "incompatible" chipset is, i.e. how I could test it locally in Qemu. Has anyone at Hetzner ever figured this out? I just wanted to save the dmesg and copy it via SSH to my home - the next disappointment - it seems that no network interface was detected. So in the existing configuration, the VPS is completely useless for me.

@Mayuresh: if you don't mind, could you please tell me the ticket# of your request at Hetzner and a quote of the answer you got? I would also like to make an attempt and contact the support, thereby refer to your ticket.

Kind regards
Matthias