Re: NetBSD 9.2 installer can't detect disk of some Hetzner VPSes

On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 10:03:38PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
> In what form would you need a new NetBSD 9.2_STABLE to appear in in order
> to test the driver with some diagnostics added, so we can see what is
> really going on?    Is just a kernel enough, or do you need an ISO
> image (since unless something changes, it is unlikely to work any better
> than the previous attempt - just provide more info - it doesn't need
> to contain install sets etc, with no accessible disks, those are useless,
> so it could be quite a small ISO - perhaps the one intended for installing
> from the net - not that that could work either - no working net or disks).

Hetzner agreed to set a compatible chipset for my instance. So I finally
got the configuration I needed and have just installed NetBSD 9.2 on that.

Shouldn't qemu with the chipset setting they mentioned suffice for
testing?

There are some difficulties in testing on Hetzner such as

- As their reply suggests, there is no guarantee about which chipset
  your new instances will get. It's a bit random.

- I doubt whether they'd allow an arbitrary image. They have provided
  NetBSD 9.2 released image on their platform.

--
Mayuresh