Re: Alternative DVCS to git: hg?

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 23:28:41 +0200
Johnny Billquist <bqt%update.uu.se@localhost> wrote:

> > Well, you don't need to specify full URL, there are well known
> > shortcuts:
>
> Sorry, I'm still not impressed. Why on earth they didn't do "proper"
> branches and tags is beyond me, and my biggest issues with
> subversion. Apart from those, I kindof like subversion.

So what is your definition of a "proper branch" and what exactly
Subversion branch doesn't allow you to do? Is this something to do with
tracing back all the branches that a particular file belongs to? Or
having some snazzy GUI tool to see the history?

I ask because my work with branches is normally quite simple, i.e.
create a feature branch, commit changes, merge to trunk, delete
feature branch. Sometime backport some fixes from one branch to
another, i.e. from trunk to release-X.Y. What else is there that
people need from branches?