Re: Alternative DVCS to git: hg?

On 2019-04-17 12:07, Sad Clouds wrote:
On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 1:38 AM Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 at 15:05, Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

Does it actually need to be distributed? If no, then what's wrong with
Subversion? Personally, I can't stand Git.

Subversion fails on two counts:

- it isn't ACID (I'm told that's the correct DB term)
In subversion parallel pushes are magically merged, maybe.  For
instance: developer #1's deletes a .h macro and developer #2 adds a .c
use.  ACID guarantees that #1 XOR #2 wins, and the other gets to sort
out the mess.

- it doesn't have true branches
Instead it has conventions; lots of conventions; and based on
experience, projects end up discovering that developers have been
following all of them

Oh, and I now forget how many years it is since GCC,  a relatively
small project, has being trying to migrate away from subversion.

Maybe you are confusing Subversion with CVS?

Actually, CVS and Subversion works the same in this aspect, but I also don't really understand what the problem Andrew think exists here.

I've never seen the problem that you describe with concurrent commits.
The commits to the same file are done atomically, so one will succeed
and another will fail.

Right. And the same is actually true in CVS as well.

What exactly is a "true branch"? Subversion does have branches, they
are fast and work quite well.

Not really. Subversion have copies. There are differences. One being that it's very hard to even find out what "branches" exists in Subversion.

Somebody mentioned lack of tags, well Subversion uses branches, they
are essentially the same thing.

Same copy as above. Subversion only have copies, and tries to make everything fit this, which isn't as good as the Subversion people try to claim. Also, Subversion actually have a couple of tags, but they are special cases, and you cannot create your own.

If some project is migrating from Subversion to Git, then there can be
all sorts of reasons. It doesn't necessarily mean that Subversion is
crap.

Agreed. And after having to deal with git for a couple of years, I must say that I find git to be the most problematic VCS I have ever used.

  Johnny