Re: Alternative DVCS to git: hg?

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 11:39 AM Johnny Billquist <bqt%update.uu.se@localhost> wrote:

> > What exactly is a "true branch"? Subversion does have branches, they
> > are fast and work quite well.
>
> Not really. Subversion have copies. There are differences. One being
> that it's very hard to even find out what "branches" exists in Subversion.
>
> > Somebody mentioned lack of tags, well Subversion uses branches, they
> > are essentially the same thing.
>
> Same copy as above. Subversion only have copies, and tries to make
> everything fit this, which isn't as good as the Subversion people try to
> claim. Also, Subversion actually have a couple of tags, but they are
> special cases, and you cannot create your own.

OK can you elaborate a bit more in detail? What do you think is the
difference between "true branches" and "copies"? With Subversion, when
you create a branch on a server, it doesn't make a physical copy of
every single file, it creates CopyOnWrite, so it's fast and doesn't
take up much space. So where is the problem?

Also I don't understand your comment - 'it's very hard to even find
out what "branches" exists in Subversion.' This is not true, it's up
to you how to organize your branches, but most people have a subfolder
called "branches" and you can easily list all branches there.