Re: Alternative DVCS to git: hg?

On 2019-04-17 14:58, Sad Clouds wrote:
On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 12:56 PM Johnny Billquist <bqt%update.uu.se@localhost> wrote:

Correct. However, with a branch, I can see, by looking at the file, in
the one place it is, what different branches that file exists in.

And what is the benefit of knowing all of the branches where a
particular file exists? Branches are separate development streams, so
why would you care if any other branches have this file? If you really
want to know, you can write a small script that looks for a particular
file in various branches in your repo, but this is rather weird use
case. So how does Git give you this information?

Call me weird then, but I do look at this kind of information for files. And I also have tools that will graph the history of a file, including branches and tags. Makes it easy to move around, compare and switch between versions...

And even though I'm no fan of git, this is also easily available in there, including the gui interface that graphs file history very pretty.

That's the point. By convention you try to solve the problem. The issue
is that this only works as far as that convention is followed, and you
have filename space to search instead of looking at the file to find
what branches and tags you have for it.

That's because this convention works very well. People have been
organizing their work into folders and files for years, it is very
easy to understand. Trying to come up with some other obscure
methodology is a questionable practice.

Sorry, but in my view, even though you can make it work by following conventions, this is a stupid workaround for a shortcoming in the tool.

A branched file can be checked out from different branches, and it stays
in the same place in the file system. A copy do not.

There is a difference between a branch (stored on a server) and a
local copy (stored on your local machine). You can checkout from
whatever branch you like. I never needed to have a mixture of files
checked out from different branches under the same local tree, but if
this is what you want to do, then "svn switch" command would probably
work for you http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.ref.svn.c.switch.html

Right. We don't want sane tags or branches, so instead we need to specify full URLs when we want a different version.

I'm not saying subversion can't be used. Just that some things annoy me, and in my view are rather bad. I would still take subversion over git any day of the week.

  Johnny