Alternative DVCS to git: hg?

As shared in some other threads, I am trying to get an encrypted revision
control repository using encfs.

git seems to be pushing the limits of a fuse file system one way or the
other. libperfuse catered to some of them, but quite peculiar use of
filesystem by git (and I wonder why it had to be coded that way) is making
it impossible to use git on encfs file system (on NetBSD).

Probably later versions of libperfuse might deal with all quirks of git,
but at present I am looking for a less quirky distributed revision control
system - similar to git.

I have tried out hg and it worked without any problems on an encfs mount.

But I have used hg very little. Is that a good alternative to git or are
there better options?

Mayuresh