Re: Alternative DVCS to git: hg?

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 21:23:43 +0200
Johnny Billquist <bqt%update.uu.se@localhost> wrote:

> Right. We don't want sane tags or branches, so instead we need to
> specify full URLs when we want a different version.
>
> I'm not saying subversion can't be used. Just that some things annoy
> me, and in my view are rather bad. I would still take subversion over
> git any day of the week.

Well, you don't need to specify full URL, there are well known
shortcuts:

svn copy ^/myproject/trunk ^/myproject/branches/featureXXX \
  -m "Create feature branch XXX"

Nothing too complicated and perfectly reasonable. Git makes sense for
people who don't have stable Internet connectivity and they want to be
committing locally all day. But then Git is not perfect and has some
annoying issues - insane command syntax, convoluted support for binary
files, no exclusive file locks, losing history under certain conditions,
etc. Have a look at https://svnvsgit.com