Re: Importing tmux into base

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 12:04:50PM +0200, Adam Hamsik wrote:
 > >> Just for one example of tools that the base system is missing, we don't
 > >> have a full-text indexing & search system.
 > >
 > > This I agree with. We should have a real text indexing system in base,
 > > so we can do real documentation searches. There was no excuse for
 > > apropos(1) in 1998; there's even less today.
 > >
 > > There's no reason an application for indexing your own files needs to
 > > be in base. If there isn't a good one in pkgsrc, then perhaps one
 > > should be added; if there isn't one that can be added, perhaps one
 > > should be written.
 >
 > This sounds like very interesting GSOC project would you be willing to write
 > some description how would something like this should be done ?

I know absolutely nothing about text search and retrieval, so I'm a
long way from the right person to either write the project description
or mentor the project.

That said, I think at least a brief description of this project
already exists somewhere, because I remember wondering out loud to
someone whether Google would be happy about funding it.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost