Re: Importing tmux into base

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 01:19:21PM -0600, David Young wrote:
 > I'm glad you asked that question.  I think that NetBSD is sinking below
 > the threshold of usefulness for daily computing because it does not come
 > with the tools to do type and quality of work that's expected these
 > days.
 >
 > Just for one example of tools that the base system is missing, we don't
 > have a full-text indexing & search system.

This I agree with. We should have a real text indexing system in base,
so we can do real documentation searches. There was no excuse for
apropos(1) in 1998; there's even less today.

There's no reason an application for indexing your own files needs to
be in base. If there isn't a good one in pkgsrc, then perhaps one
should be added; if there isn't one that can be added, perhaps one
should be written.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost