Re: Importing tmux into base

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:30:01 -0500 (EST)
der Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> wrote:

> pkgsrc is not suitable for multiple reasons.  Binary packages aren't
> suitable for my use at all, because I don't run binaries I didn't build
> myself.  And I've got a good deal of bludgeoning into shape either way,

> It's all a question of target market, really.  pkgsrc, and NetBSD in
> general (though the latter less so so far), is for people who would
> prefer to take an "I don't know what's going on and I don't care; I

I too don't use binaries not locally built from sources (that doesn't
exclude local patching), but I still find utilities such as build.sh
and pkgsrc very handy towards that.

One can create pkgsrc stubs for what is missing, keep local
modifications which are not accepted in official pkgsrc, and use custom
NetBSD distributions and binary packages repositories for the other
systems of a network, instead of having to use custom ad-hoc procedures.

So I think build.sh and pkgsrc are also good engineering tools for
people who want custom software and don't rely on pre-built
OS+packages, because they make easier the creation and distribution of
custom software.

I'm not saying that pkgsrc doesn't have its limitations though, of
course...
--
Matt