Re: Importing tmux into base

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 12:12:20PM -0600, David Young wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 09:47:10AM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > Personally I wonder why we have bind, Postfix and a lot of other stuff
> > in base.  We don't need it to run a basic system.  We can
> > point /etc/resolv.conf at a running resolver and our email client can
> > be set up to mail to an external SMTP server.  For a basic, working
> > system that works.
>
> The reason that I like for Postfix and BIND and lots of other programs
> to be in base is that I can create practical NetBSD applications that
> run those programs on machines where I would not ever want to build
> those programs, machines such as embedded ARM / MIPS machines.

Yes.  I use custom distribution sets (trivial to add) to subset "base"
for my embedded systems, but those are two things I actually almost
always end up leaving *in*.

There is no reason sets cannot overlap, and since syspkg is clearly
never going to happen, I would actually think it might be good to
subset base several different ways for different applications.  Problems
do arise, of course, for pkgsrc if you do that.  This does not matter
to *me personally* because I always cross-compile, and thus cannot
practically use pkgsrc for anything that goes into my runtime.  In
fact, a considerable amount of my time is spent converting extra
software to BSD Makefiles so I can build it in-tree, for exactly that
reason!

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon
tls%panix.com@localhost

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart