Re: PSD, SMM and USD manuals [was: Re: Shell tutorial added]

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 19:55:16 +0300 Jukka Ruohonen <jruohonen%iki.fi@localhost>
wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:36:34PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > Look at the entire contents of /usr/src/share/doc/{psd,smm,usd}.
> > Perhaps you think losslessly transforming them into
> > human-maintainable form in some other markup syntax would be
> > trivial.  If that's the case, please let me know when you've
> > actually done the work.
>
> Yes, those are the known examples to which I earlier referred as
> "legacy documents". Judging from the CVS logs, the word legacy is
> indeed appropriate.

They aren't updated regularly but they're all perfectly useful
documentation. I see no reason to judge whether they are useful by
whether people make alterations every week. Is K&R "obsolete" because
the version you find on the bookstore shelf is 20 years old?

> Finally, I question that anyone will find particularly relevant
> documentation about the NetBSD operating system in the year 2010
> from /usr/src/share/doc/{psd,smm,usd}.

Then you clearly have never read those documents.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                perry%piermont.com@localhost