Re: Indigo R3000, Indigo R4000 and Indy R5000

Hi Naruaki, hi Izumi,

On 08/27/2018 09:15 PM, Naruaki.Etomi wrote:
[   9.0068690] warning: no /dev/console
I think following is a need.
(I wonder if it was failure )
# cd /target_hdd/dev
# ./MAKEDEV all

Yeah. I think I hadn't done this yet at this point.

/etc/rc.conf is not configured.  Multiuser boot aborted.
Please rewrite "rc_configured=YES"

Dito.

The result is working:
I'm so glad.

...apart from the MAC address patch that is not yet included in the ELF
image.

It slipped my mind!
Try this kerne.
(I think I'm OK)
https://github.com/nullnilaki/NetBSD_irisboot/blob/master/IndigoR3K/re_netbsd_elf

Thanks for the fix, I'll check it out soon.

SGI machines are roughly 2 categories.
ARCS machine: Crimson, Indigo R4K, Indy, Indigo2, O2, Octane...
NO ARCS machine: Indigo R3K, Personal IRIS, IRIS Power series...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARCS_(computing)

ARC is a standard and open.
I know how to use ARCS routine.

For example:
https://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/sys/arch/sgimips/stand/common/boot.c#177
Therefore, I recognize OSLoadPartition environment variable.

https://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/sys/arch/sgimips/stand/common/boot.c#190
Therefore, I recognize OSLoadFilename environment variable.

On the contrary, NO ARCS machine's PROM(NVRAM) routine is proprietary and close.
I don’t know how to use NO ARCS machine's PROM(NVRAM) routine.
No one knows it besides SGI.
Disassembling sash binary is very very hard.
(Please remember Indigo R3K MAC address promblem)

I understand now.

As a result, It is necessary to input target disk and kernel name.
I know it sucks, but please give me a break...

Makes perfect sense then. But maybe you could include `dksc(0,1,0)/netbsd` as the default path to the kernel in irisboot, which could be used if no argument is given to irisboot. This could work for the major part of installations where the kernel is on the partiton for "/" on the first disk. And users could still overwrite it with their preferred settings.

In addition one could also install irisboot with "sash" as name in the SGI volume header and the machine could hopefully work with the default settings then.

What do you think about that? I'll give that irisboot-named-sash a try.

Say, which PR refers to the kernel patch(es) (incl. the MAC address fix for early Indigo R3K)?
It would be cool to be able to build that kernel for future NetBSD releases.
I hadn't sent Indigo R3000 patch yet.
Give me a sec to explain...
As the reason, My Indigo ran out of battery a few days ago!
https://twitter.com/nullnilaki/status/1031949233857880064

Arrggghhh. What a pity. And also sad that the TOD clock won't start working on the Indigo as long as no new battery is attached. On other machines (e.g. Indy) it is enough to fix the date in the PROM monitor and reboot to have a working machine for as long as it is powered.